President/Chief Executive Officer
The Winston-Salem Chamber’s vision is that Winston-Salem/Forsyth County will be the best community in the United States to start and grow a business and to live. The Chamber’s mission is to provide and advocate for the best environment for businesses of all sizes.
Founded in 1885, the Chamber has 1200 members, a $1.9MM budget, and a 14-person staff. It is governed by a 54-member board (24-member Executive Committee). More information is available at www.winstonsalem.com.
In support of its over-arching mission, the Winston-Salem Chamber advocates in support of local businesses, hosts events that bring business people together, and develops and provides research and programs to help members make better business decisions. It also shares information about new and innovative technologies being developed locally, provides business development assistance, and promotes educational programs to help kids meet the challenges of the 21st century workplace.
In addition, the Winston-Salem Chamber is recognized as a critical economic development force. It supports retention and expansion activities, works closely with entrepreneurs, and partners with other groups to provide support to high impact projects.
President/Chief Executive Officer
The successful candidate may come from a position of business or community leadership or from a professional Chamber executive background. In either case, s/he must demonstrate:
- Compelling leadership – the ability to create excitement and consensus around a bold vision of advocacy for a healthy business environment and for businesses of all sizes; an energetic community presence; an external focus as the “face” of and spokesperson for the Chamber and business community;
- A strategic orientation; someone who can play a key role in formulating, refining and implementing the Chamber’s long-range strategic vision and plans;
- Robust relationship-building skills; a collaborative partnership bent; someone who can successfully operate at very high levels of influence with key business, community, government and legislative leaders; political acumen – a strong advocate with public sector employees and elected officials at local and state government levels; likewise, the ability to relate openly to the Board, Executive Committee and members/volunteers;
- Successful experience working with organic growth and entrepreneurs; a champion for startups, second stage companies and investors;
- Organizational leadership; someone who can attract, develop and retain a strong staff; the skills to manage a highly effective and efficient organization as measured by achievement of priority goals, member satisfaction and growth, revenue generation to support the Chamber’s work, and quality programs and initiatives; a clear understanding of marketing and branding;
- Customer service; the ability to ensure a value proposition that attracts and retains members; excellent program selection and development instincts; strong member service orientation;
- Economic development savvy; someone who can play a key role in retention and expansion activities, promote entrepreneurism, and support high impact ED projects;
- Commitment to infrastructure/resource development; the ability to actively engage businesses to improve education, technology, telecommunications, transportation and utilities initiatives; a community builder;
- Excellent public speaking, writing and listening skills.
In addition, the successful candidate must have:
- 10+ years’ experience as a successful leader with business acumen and the proven ability to manage a budget in excess of $2MM and a staff of 15+;
- Board relations/management experience;
- Undergraduate degree mandatory; advanced degree is a plus.
To express interest in this position, or to recommend others, please reply to email@example.com and put “Chamber President/CEO” in the subject line. All correspondence will be kept confidential